RE: ICU Detailed Duties and Responsibilities
Receives patient categorized as critical cases. Doing triage, physical assessment and implement nursing measures for initial stabilization/ support.
- Assess, record and report abnormal symptoms of patients to attending physician
- Administer drugs orally, sublingually, intramusculary, subcutaneously and parenterally with doctor’s order.
- Monitor vital signs (BP, PR, RR & Temperature), Random Blood Sugar, Intake and Output accurately.
Performs cardiac assessment/nursing management such as:
- Apply chest/cardiac monitor leads
- Record 12-lead ECG
- Determine and initiate care of life threatening arrhythmias (e.g. PVC’s, Ventricular Fibrillation)
- Close monitoring of patient receiving streptokinase/heparin/NTG/Lidocaine/ Amiodarone HCl, Dopamine drip.
Performs respiratory assessment/ nursing management such as:
- Administer oxygen inhalation/ nebulization
- Mechanically remove secretions from oral, endotracheal and tracheostomy tube using suction machine.
- Render tracheostomy care
- Coordinates with the Respiratory Therapist for facilitation of weaning of patient to mechanical ventilator
Performs neurologic assessment/ nursing management such as:
- Use and interpretation of Glasgow Coma Scale
- Recognize Signs and Symptoms of increased intracranial pressure (ICP)
- Carries out doctor’s order promptly and intelligently.
- Performs feeding of patient with nasogastric and gastrostomy tube.
- Insert intravenous line and administer IV medication per doctor’s order.
- Insert straight and indwelling catheter aseptically.
- Assist in endotracheal intubations, tracheostomy, thoracentesis, and abdominal thoracentesis.
- Assist in performing venipuncture for obtaining blood samples.
- Interpret arterial blood gas values.
- Functions as a member of the cardiac arrest team and helps in administering cardiac life support.
- Coordinates with other departments (laboratory, radiology) in performing various examinations needed of the patient.
- Perform referral to doctors/ residents-on-duty and other members of the health team if necessary.
- Performs endorsement about the patient’s condition, stocks and supplies, machines, and equipments to the incoming nurse on duty.
- Has adequate knowledge and skills in operating equipment used in the Intensive Care Unit such as:
- Non Invasive Blood Pressure Equipment
- Infusion Pumps/ Syringe Pumps (B-Braun, Baxter Colleagues)
- Cardiac Monitor (HP)
- Defibrillator (LifePak Physiocontrol)
- Pulse Oximeter
- Mechanical Ventilator (Puritan Bennett 7200)
- Portable Electrocardiograph Machine
- Nebulizer (Pulmo-Aide)
- Bag-Valve Mask (Ambubag)
- Suction Machine